Saturday, February 5, 2011

Patch Bays



I'm thinking about getting a patch bay for signal cables. I've been using hardware gear more, and my 8-in 8-out MOTU is getting impractical. I never run everything at once, though, so I don't need everything going into the computer at a time. Also, a lot of my synths and such have audio ins as well as outs, so it'd be nice to be able to route one piece of gear to another to run one synth through another's filters/effects.

I'm thinking that something with about 24 ins and 24 outs would do it. I'm a little vague now on whether I need TRS ins and outs or TS or what.

Anybody set something like this up before? Brian, I thought you might know since you're still pretty deep into recording. Any advice on what to get or how to set it up?

2 comments:

  1. google says:
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/401693-patchbay-trs-ts-cables.html

    in general, though, I would go for a balanced patchbay (i.e. mostly TRS cables). Odds are you have more gear that has balanced outs than unbalanced. (Although I could be wrong.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do record a bit, but I am a cheap bastard and I don't have a patch bay. Or a rack. My life is a cluster fuck because of it.

    I have this article marked for reading once I get a patch bay cause I forgot the stuff about normal ing and such from school-
    http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2008/09/patch-bay-101.html

    I would say got balanced, and I concur with the GS post. TR and TRS works well with each other (at least in my experience) as long as you aren't using an insert/send and return port.

    Everyone needs to start buying gear with DB25 outs on them. Some of the new 500 Series lunchboxes have them, and a they have patch bays that have DB25 ins and outs. They look dope.

    ReplyDelete