Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Oversteps: the fake was real.


The fake version of ilanders was about 2x as long, but otherwise the earlier-posted advance copy is the real thing.

Some of the tops and tails are different; the ones on the real one are a little more polished or fade in/out a bit more naturally, for the most part. i.e. it probably really was an advance copy.

If disappointment persists, take heart in the fact that if things stay true to form, in a year we'll all think this is the hottest shit ever.

I'll have more to say after I give this a couple of good listens. So far I've only listened to it all the way through once, at extreme loudness, while cleaning my house last night. My initial reaction was definitely "where are the beats?". Obviously there are some, but they seem to be subsumed by the stringy synth diddles and fizzy basses. But I also said the same thing the first time I listened to Quaristice; understandable since Untilted was pretty much the "fuck you, you will never make beats this complex, this good" record.

Let the weeping, gnashing of teeth, and looks of confusion begin. Maybe this will help you lament properly:

12-hour Autechre Radio Broadcast
Tuesday 2nd March 6pm til 6am (GMT)
Sign up now at
http://autechre.ws to be notified before the broadcast.

edit: of course, after I post this, I notice Ian already broke the news. Credit where credit's due.

11 comments:

  1. coincidentally, i too was cleaning the house with the stereo on full blast. i rather enjoyed it i think listening to it with more confidence in its authenticity. however...i was kinda bummed there wasn't a couple of headbangers on there. i'm really curious what this turns out like live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty much all positive on this. i mean yeah, some AE headbangers would always be welcome, but they're gonna give you what they wanna give you when they wanna. i feel like a lot of the stuff on this record kind of reminds me of some of the more melodic stuff on quaristice, only i think they're experimenting with harmonies on this record in a way they never have in the past.

    it's weird how the appeciation of AE albums totally works in cycles. i had totally forgotten about the release date yesterday, and was listening to Quaristice for the first time in a long time on the way to work, only to find the Oversteps download notification in my email. it's weird how they have it timed almost perfectly to drop a new album at the exact time you will start to really get the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, I've noticed that phenomenon with every post-LP5 release, excluding Untilted, which definitely won me over on the first listen. And, I guess, Quaristice, which I'm still pretty lukewarm on. So this shit right here, this hit me like a bomb once I let it, once as Andrew put it, I had "confidence in its authenticity." This is their lushest, most immediately inviting release in like a decade, but it doesn't feel like a regression.
    Immediate impressions: Ilanders sounds like a dubbed-out version of LCC, and Known(1) reminds me of Dark River.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd like to hear it on vinyl...but the damned thing costs 28 pounds, which is $43.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, no shit Ben. I can barely even afford the download right now, and am stuck with just the leak. I'd like to know more about the differences between the version I've got and the actual release.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the whole Known(1) and Dark River thing, I thought the exact same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "it's weird how they have it timed almost perfectly to drop a new album at the exact time you will start to really get the last one."

    They stay with the "every 2 years" model like clockwork. Quaristice came out on my bday (Feb. 2) two years ago, and Untilted, Draft, and Confield all came out March-April in retro 2-year intervals.

    So you can basically set your calendar to their releases, but I agree that two years is oddly the exact time frame of when I've completely consumed an ae album, let it sit for 3 months, and come back to it for a few weeks/heard it in a new light - right before the next one comes out.

    New ae drops are like xmas morning to me, and I can always remember exactly what was going on when I first heard em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. agreed gray! i remember when we listened to 61e.CR several several times before you realized it was on repeat. your room in 19 long shoals. and quaristice, driving around northern california blasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i didn't buy quaristice until more than a month after it came out (don't remember why). the first time i listened to it was st. patrick's day afternoon, coming home after a night of doing a bunch of [REDACTED]. i remember being totally creeped out by the album because of my fragile nerves and then getting having to ride home on the subway packed with already-drunk suburbanites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you can hurt your brain thinking about it all day, but this album is kind of gay, sorry. remember this autechre?:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3ZuH7u6s8

    they were much better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is the most lucid album since Chiastic. Other than Untitled, which is basically the antithesis of this album.

    ReplyDelete