Sunday, December 13, 2009

An album that formatatived me

I think Andrew mentioned something about people posting formative albums or something like that. This album formed me something strange.


This was purchased with Christmas money sometime in college, before I really started hanging with what is now the BFC click. I was hanging out with the good doctor, and he noticed the advertisement box with these in it, and thought the bronze guy on the cover looked pretty, so my space cadet ass bought it. And boy was I glad I did.

"One Ruined Life of a Bronze Tourist", by Col. Bruce Hampton - a preview

I quote the album- "this is what it is like to go on a flight benieth the pole in an under sea spaceship. " There really isn't a better explanation.

Absurd and comical. Bluegrass, mixed with cocktail jazz, mixed with honky tonk rock and roll, with a strange ambient noise undertone in almost all the songs. The artistic opinion on Jazz was also well appreciated, given the amount of jazz guitar heads at the UNCA music department at the time I discovered the album (fuck your A MixoLydian scale over a Fm13th your fuck). A rant about a man living in the roof of my mouth also terrorized my brain for many years. If people ever wander why I did the crazy shit I have done, or that many of you have seen me do, it was because I was trying to reach the "next level" where ol Col. Bruce was in the early 70's. He was on a different level, one that I now hope I never understand.

1 comment:

  1. I think that rant about "there's a man in the roof of my mouth... in my PALate" terrorized more than just your brain. If "terrorized" is indeed the appropriate verb for this situation. I think "inundated" might be more appropriate...?

    ReplyDelete