Friday, November 6, 2009

Recording and an Ambient Tune




I have a 8 track recording system that I have good handle on and is very portable (nothing fancy, just an MOTU 828 ver 1, a couple of large and small diaphragm mics, a 57, a 58, and a on loan D112). It isn't the highest quality of gear, but most of it works and for the most part I can get clean signals. I like to take this around and record bands in their practice space. It is fun and makes me friends. I recorded some friends of mine a time or two, and I posted some pictures above. I also cut some samples out of the recording and made a noisey ambient track. Here it be.
Note on the kick head placement in this pic, I got a much better sound the second time moving the mic off the sound hole, right in the center of the head, about 3-5" back. Good thud.

2 comments:

  1. i've always wanted to record a drum track, take it in to a parking garage or something real reverby, and re-record it coming out of a pa. have you ever done that?
    thud life till i die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done similar things, mainly with re amping guitars and putting the amp in a strange place, like a filing cab or a tile bathroom. I bet it would work well with programed drums too. Give me a BPM and I will record some of this and post the results.

    ReplyDelete