Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Drum Heads?


I have been playing drums again, with a dude I work with. My mapex set that I have had since 1997 was in disrepair. It needed drum heads that were not more than a half a decade old. So I go to the music store in town. I had not done that in a very long time and now I remember why. I went to show some local support in these hard economic times and not order shit online. It was only drums heads so I didn't mind paying a few extra bucks to get them locally. I went to one place, Richards Music, and they were wicked nice and helpful. But they didn't have my powerstroke 3 and diplomat heads I wanted. So I walked on down the road. To a place called Supersonic (I think). I walked in, and asked "drum heads?" as if I was asking where they were. They were behind the counter, so the guy asked me what one I wanted. I told him the Diplomat 14" clear. He looked at me and asked me if I was sure cause that was a very thin head. Yeah I am sure, if I ask you for a 1987 Cutlass with no power windows, I don't want a 1992 Buick with heated seats. So then he asked me what I needed it for. I told him a bottom head for a floor tom and he responded "yeah, that would be right." All of this before he went and looked and realized he didn't have it. Do I have to fucking justify what I want to the person selling me something? If I ask for a double espresso, I don't need the barista to tell me that it is going to taste bad and gritty. I need the barista to say "here you go, have a nice day."

Why do people who are in music, in any sort of form or fashion, seem so damn cocky and arrogant? This is a stereo type, but it is a stereo type that I can pin on at least 60% of people I meet in "musical" situations, be it at a club with a band playing, running some freelance sound, playing a show, playing a hand drum in the middle of a field somewhere, or buying fucking drum heads. Are people that are into music insecure? Is that why they are in music in the first place? Why do the majority of people I meet feel they have to prove that they know more about music than I do? This shit drives me crazy. Do the resident art clique at BFR run into this too in the artz scene?

I typically handle these situations by being quiet, letting the "know it all" in the situation talk and talk and then I let my actions speak. My boss at work got pretentious about a recording session he did in garage band at his house with his Epiphone guitar. I keep quiet; until I could interject about this recording session I did in mid April. Punked the boss with out having to be an ass. But when I am buying something, don't give me shit or I will call my Sweetwater sales rep and have him tell me how damn awesome I am, cause that is what he does.
above picture is a pic of me infront of a $5k Toft mixing board, 2 LA-4's, 2 Distressors, a Drawmer compressor, connected to like $10k worth of mics that I was running for that session in mid April. I love seeing myself in pics, so I pose like a hooker who got a job as a model and doesn't have to walk the streets.

3 comments:

  1. "Are people that are into music insecure?"

    Yes

    "Is that why they are in music in the first place?"

    Probably

    What recording session are these pictures from. Shit looks surious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. visual artists can be the same way. thing is, most of them are just churning out a constant flow of shit work, so i take the same approach that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's all rooted in our evolutionary history. "art" in general is a waste of time and energy, at least from a survivalist's perspective. so the capacity to engage in said worthless pursuit shows a general surplus of energy and thus reproductive fitness. females of all species love this kind of shit; it's the reason behind the peacock's tail (whoa..peacock is a really funny word...kind of like rectangle) or the baboons big blue ass. these are physical disadvantages which hinder survival in some way, and show that the organism (usually male) can be shinin and stuntin at tha same time. it's like biggie said :
    "I roam in lexuses and benzes, the fly way
    With the flyest bitch gettin head on the highway
    My way deep throat on lukes boat
    When the moon rises, Im cumin in her eyes-es
    Just the way players play
    Leave it up to me, I get fucked all day
    Sucked all day, smokin blunts, countin cheese
    Fucking bitches til they assholes bleed"
    but it's usually the white guys who get it the most twisted and think that being buttwads is some sort of advantage. you could probably go all silverback on them and start yelling and throwing shit and they would go in the back and find the right goddamn drumhead for you.

    ReplyDelete